What You Should Know About Your Landlord’s Insurance

in Renters Insurance on by

If your possessions were damaged in a flood, major storm or fire, would your losses be covered? Many people assume that their landlord’s insurance covers any damage that occurs in the building. While your landlord probably does hold some type of landlords insurance, do you know what it covers? More importantly, will it protect your apartment and your belongings?

What Does Landlords Insurance Cover?

Most landlords insurance covers damage to the building itself. Depending on the policy your landlord holds, the inner structure of your apartment may or may not be covered. For instance, in the case of water damage resulting from a flood, the exterior walls of the building may be protected while the inner walls of your apartment are not. Check the terms of your lease for the specifics of the insurance policy. Unfortunately, landlords insurance will not protect your personal property from damage. To protect your personal items, you will need to purchase renters insurance.

What Does Renters Insurance Cover?

Renters insurance will cover damage to your personal property that is the result of factors listed on your policy. The specifics of your coverage will vary with your policy. Before you purchase coverage, you will want to look into how the insurance company will reimburse you for your losses. “Replacement Cost” coverage will pay for the costs of replacing the items that were damaged. “Actual Cash Value” coverage will reimburse you for the depreciated value of the damaged items. Replacement Cost coverage may have a higher premium than Actual Cash Value coverage. Carefully examine the events that are and are not covered by your renters insurance. In many cases, damage from flood will not be protected. If you live in a flood-prone area, you might consider purchasing separate flood insurance for your apartment.

Some Other Factors to Consider

Before purchasing renters insurance, you’ll need to understand the implications for your property if there is an incident. Some policies have caps on the amount that they will reimburse for damage of certain items like jewelry or electronics. If you have an expensive jewelry collection or other expensive items that may not be fully covered by renters insurance, you can take out a separate policy for them.

Keep receipts for expensive items and important paperwork from your insurance policy on file in a safe place outside the house, such as a safe deposit box. In case of an incident, try to document the damage as fully as possible. Take dated photographs of any damaged items and save them to help with your insurance claim. With a little preparation and a decent insurance policy, incidents out of your control don’t have to turn your life out of control too.

66 Responses to “What You Should Know About Your Landlord’s Insurance”

  1. April 24, 2007 at 10:19 am, Guest said:

    I actually won a lawsuit with a major management company because I had asked the leasing agent if she knew what the weather would be like that day. She told me “sunny, and perfect for leaving the windows open”. Because of her statement I left my windows open regardless of the black clouds outside. When the storm hit I was not home and my entire apartment was flooded. I took them to court and even though the leasing agent claimed to have said “sunny and perfect” in a sarcastic tone, I won the suit, had all my funriture replaced and I walked away with a big check. Suckas!


    • December 13, 2016 at 9:39 pm, Larry said:

      > I can't believe you didn't check yourself on the chance of having or getting damage. U sued someone because u took her advice on weather?


  2. April 27, 2007 at 1:53 pm, Guest said:

    A Family friend lives in a apartment that just had some flooding problems. The moved in last year and have had no problems and just signed the lease for one more year. The new lease doesnt start until August. When they moved in last year the carpet was new….. With the recent flood their apartment floors was flooded and so the carpet was soaked…
    Luckily none of the personal property was damaged. I guess they have only offered to dry out the carpets. We are worried about mold and want the carpets replaced. Can we demand they replace the carpets due to the recent flooding??


  3. May 02, 2007 at 1:00 am, Guest said:

    That is the most preposterous thing I have ever heard. I would not believe it unless I saw the court papers.


  4. May 21, 2007 at 7:07 pm, Guest said:

    I have the same problem now. I am unsure what to do as well.


  5. August 02, 2007 at 9:45 pm, Guest said:

    I am in the process of renting a house, the attic is full of old papers and other assorted junk that was left there by the previous owner that had passed away. The landlord has told me I can not use the attic because their insurance would not cover me if I was to fall down the stairs leading to the attic or if I fell through the floor of the attic, The entire attic is floored above the garage, and the house is two stories, which means there is an entire staircase inside the house. I could fall down those staris also I have never been told by anyother landlord I could not use the attic. If I am renting the house is is not correct that I have access to the entire house? The garage is attatched to the house.


  6. November 06, 2007 at 6:23 pm, Guest said:

    That is terrible.


  7. January 08, 2008 at 12:30 pm, Guest said:

    In regard to the wet carpet problem…
    I have worked in apartment management for many years and have some advice on this. The only time I have heard anything mentioned about possibly having to replace due to flooding is b/c of a sewer back-up due to the risk of bacteria etc.
    If it is a “clean” water flood (not sewer water) then a carpet cleaner should come out and suck as much water out of it as possible. Then a blower(s) should be put down to finish the drying process and if the pad is wet then it may be needed to pull up the carpet in the corner and let the blower blow under as well.
    The key to not getting mold is to take quick action to dry the area. Typically if dried within 48 hours mold will not form.


  8. February 09, 2008 at 6:38 pm, Guest said:

    Please read your lease. The lease should specify what areas of the home are designated for your usage.


  9. February 21, 2008 at 12:16 pm, Guest said:

    My apartment was damaged when a pipe burst. The insurance came out and gave an estimate and gave a check to the apartment building. The secretary will not give me any information about how much they allowed for me to fix what was damaged(mostly flooring), or what insurance company they have so I can’t contact them directly. What can I do?


  10. February 21, 2008 at 9:04 pm, Guest said:

    What do I do if my apartment has been damaged by a pipe bursting and my landlord won’t tell me how much the insurance company allowed for damages (so I know what my budget is for replacing things) or even who the insurance company is. Help!


  11. March 19, 2008 at 8:59 pm, Guest said:

    A family member has recently signed a lease that included the following wording: “All tenants must secure an annual tenant/homeowner insurance policy providing a min of $500K liability coverage.” Proof must be provided and the leasor must be named as additional insured. Does anyone know if this is normal practice and also is this liability insurance on the dwelling or for potential injury? Thanks for your assistance.


  12. April 02, 2008 at 9:51 pm, Guest said:

    oh my…good stuff…. who was your attorney?


  13. April 03, 2008 at 2:46 pm, Guest said:

    My apartment was flooded with water when the sprinklers went off on the floor above me to put out a fire. I don’t have renter’s insurance, but my lease has a ‘Risk of Loss’ clause that says “Landlord shall/shall not (circle one) be liable for any loss by reason of damage, ….(etc).” The landlord never circled ‘shall’ or ‘shall not’. Does that mean they are liable? And if the landlord doesn’t have insurance, would the building’s insurance be liable for my damages? (I have about $3000 in damage). Thank you!


  14. April 03, 2008 at 8:59 pm, Guest said:

    More and more apartment communities are requesting that residents obtain renters insurance with liability coverage. Reasons for this are as follows: if a property requires that their residents have renters insurance, the property management company saves money on their own insurance. Also,for example, if a resident causes a fire, the resident’s liability insurance will cover the cost of damages to the building and to the property of others living in the building. Liability insurance also pays medical payments to guests of residents injured on the property.
    That being said, the leasor is an additional insured by default, it is stated in the policy. They do not have to be listed as an additional insured.


  15. April 06, 2008 at 6:35 pm, Guest said:

    Hi, I’m an insurance agent.
    Yes, this is typical. Don’t worry- the difference in cost between the basic amount of liability coverage ($100,000) and $500,000 is only about $36 per year. A HO-4 (Renter’s Insurance Policy) most likely will cost between $150 and $300 per year depending on coverage selected, credit, and prior losses (among other factors).
    Liability coverage could be used for certain kinds of property damage or for injuries your family member causes.
    For example, let’s say that your family member leaves a pot on the stove and falls asleep. This pot catches fire and burns the whole building down. The landlord’s dwelling fire policy will pay for the damage to the building- but they will then subrogate, and go after your sister for every penny they paid to the landlord. Trust me, it’s better that she have the liability coverage when this happens than have her wages garnished for the rest of her life.
    Her liability coverage can also be used in myriad other situations. For example, let’s say she’s a golfer, and she accidentally leaves a putter on the front porch. The postman trips on the putter and breaks his neck. He’s going to sue, and the liability coverage could end up paying him a lot of money.
    Hope this helps…


  16. April 06, 2008 at 6:39 pm, Guest said:

    Well, there’s more to it than simply saving landlords money.
    You see, any time an apartment gets broken into, burns down, has a pipe burst, etc., tenants assume that their landlord’s insurance will pay them for their loss.
    It doesn’t.
    By requiring renters to have their own coverage, landlords are making sure that they never have to get into a protracted argument with a distraught tenant about what the landlord’s policy does and does not coverage.
    Really, all renters should carry insurance coverage, whether or not it is mandatory. You wouldn’t drive a car uninsured, would you?


  17. April 06, 2008 at 6:41 pm, Guest said:

    Why do you think you’re getting anything? Have they told you that you are?
    Typically, the landlord’s policy will not cover your damages. That’s why renter’s insurance is available. File a claim with your own renter’s insurance policy, assuming you have one.


  18. April 07, 2008 at 7:09 am, Guest said:

    This is a normal and customary practice. You cannot rent a car without some sort of coverage for that car, since you’re driving it. Similarly, you cannot drive off with the keys to a new apartment with thousands of dollars in decorative items, to say nothing of the structure, and not ensure the Landlord and yourself you have coverage for both the phsyical property of the building and your possessions–not to mention the possessions of other neighbors should you burn the building down or flood out a neighbor in some fashion.


  19. April 07, 2008 at 7:16 am, Guest said:

    So if you asked the mailman if it looked like good weather for skate boarding and broke your ankle, you’d sue the mailman for the advice he’d given? Shame on you, or should I say “sham” on you. You can’t make a leasing person into a weather person, and any court of law that would allow you to take an untrained person’s weather advice over using your own powers of observation and your own common sense ought to be given a psych evaluation! I don’t believe you. Give the Blog the case cite information, and then we’ll see. Again, shame on you. People like you are the problem with the system!


  20. May 01, 2008 at 1:05 pm, Guest said:

    Lets get one thing straight. If I choose not to have renter’s insurance, that’s MY choice. I’m getting sick of trying to find a legitimate answer to this question that doesn’t involve “I believe they can. why resist it? why wouldn’t you have it?” Read carefully. It’s my f*cking choice.

    I don’t have guests, ever. I don’t keep anything of $ value in my apartment, since I plan on moving within the next year and got rid of mostly everything. The question is, can a landlord FORCE someone to buy insurance, and force the tenant to name the landlord as “a vested party for reimbursement should there be any damages.”?

    If a pipe bursts, the landlord IS responsible for the damage to the apartment. I understand my belongings may not be covered by their insurance, but it’s MY choice to take that risk.

    I don’t care about landlords worries about “getting into a protracted argument with a distraught tenant about what the landlord’s policy does and does not coverage.” If they can’t interpret their own policy, that’s between them and their agent. Not nearly a reason for me to shell out cash every month.

    This is clearly another way landlords are trying to screw their tenants. Anyone who disagrees doesn’t understand personal freedom, is an insurance agent, or is themselves a landlord who will benefit from this.

    Someone who is renting is obviously not financially secure enough to buy a home yet, so why pile more useless debt on them? For their protection? I think there should be a law that you wear a helmet 24 hours a day. “Just in case” something happens. Why wouldn’t you?

    Personal freedom to take risks only affecting yourself. Thats why.

    The car insurance analogy might work if my apartment had four wheels and went 80 mph on a rainy freeway.


  21. May 21, 2008 at 9:20 am, Guest said:

    Apartment flooded a few weeks ago from a broken toilet part. The whole apartment was wet everywhere with water flooding on the bathroom floors. Carpet pad was replaced and carpet was cleaned and put back – now I have found mold- black and green growing in the bathroom cabinets. Maintenance has come out and cut a hole inside the cabinet and put a fan there to dry it out. Should I get my apartment tested for mold, and should’nt I be able to change apartments if one is available. Thanks for any help.


  22. June 04, 2008 at 9:36 am, Guest said:

    Greetings, My washer hose (from my washer) came out during a regular wash and flooded the laundry room (cermic tile) and hallway (carpet). I immediately called maintenance around 1030 pm and they sent a contractor out to extract the water, pull the pad and left a fan to dry the carpet and concrete for a few days. Because I immediately addressed the problem, there was no damage and the problem was resolved. A few weeks later, i got a bill on my door for $285 dollars for the ‘water extraction’ company to come out since it was my washer and they checked the ‘water damange’ block on the bill. Can my apt really hold me liable for this? Isnt this type of thing covered under their insurance? IN my book, this is why I do not own a home, so i dont have to pay for these types of incidentals. If I am going to have to pay for this type of crap anyway, why am I renting? Again, no damage resulted from the washer hose because I called immediately. Would they rather the apt mold and have a long lasting problem and me leave the water or try to clean it myself? If anyone has any insight, would love to hear it. I am really trying not to pay this bill. Thank you.


  23. July 01, 2008 at 10:42 am, Guest said:

    If it’s your washer then you are responsible for any damages it does. You should be able to turn the bill over to your insurance carrier if you have a renter’s policy. If you do, you may want their adjuster to come out and check the work of the contractor so that moldy carpet or loose tile don’t become an issue later on down the road.


  24. July 01, 2008 at 10:49 am, Guest said:

    Getting it tested at the landlord’s expense? Doubtful. At your expense, of course. If you have it tested and it’s positive for mold, then you should be able to switch apartments with no costs but the moving (no new lease, no rent increase). If the landlord is smart (and you’ll have to convince him he is) he’ll do his best to get rid of the mold as soon as possible. Mold can become airborne and begin to affect other walls and units. If there’s no apartment to switch to and you see mold again, spray the growth and surrounding areas with X-14 or plain ol’ bleach. Try a search engine for mold and it’s complications if left untreated. PS. Blowing air in the wall cavity isn’t really smart. It blows the mold further wall the wall cavity. Watch where the wall meets the ceiling. 1 will get you 10 it’s going to discolor black.


  25. July 23, 2008 at 5:06 pm, Guest said:

    I have a friend who’s townhouse apartment flooded due to the pipe in the upstairs toilet busting while they were not at home. It flooded one room upstairs, the carpet on the stairs, the carpet downstairs and the electricity is out in the kitchen. Water saturated all of the walls in the house. Blowers were put in to dry everything and the landlord wants my friend and his roommate to still stay there. It’s been three days since this incident occured and my friend attempted to go inside and stay but could not due to the stinch of the apartment smelling like sewage. My friend also stated that there is visible mold growing. The apartment is visibly uninhabitable. My friend asked the landlord if they could move into another apartment in the same complex and they were told no with no reason why they were told no. Is is legal for a landlord to do this to my friend who is one of the tenants on the lease?


  26. August 26, 2008 at 12:48 am, Guest said:

    Renter’s insurance cover’s liability – Correct?? So if you have a party at your house which get’s out of hand and the wall to wall (matching) carpet get’s damaged AND someone breaks a glass and accidentally falls against the custom made drapes thus ripping them. Will your renter’s policy pay for the damage YOU AND YOUR GUESTS caused and for the CUSTOM DRAPES??
    How ’bout rough-housing in the house – accidentally fall against the hollow core door AND the staircase banister and break them to pieces?? Covered??? How ’bout bongs in the living room (lease says no smoking!) Replace the carpet that was burned?? How ’bout chopping wood on the brick hearth or stone hearth thus breaking it up??
    Exactly what does the liability portion of your Renter’s Insurance Cover??
    And what about the suggestion from the insurance man who said get ONE policy that cover’s ALL the tenants in the house??? Is that even possible??


  27. August 26, 2008 at 1:02 am, Guest said:

    So, who pays for your damaged stuff when the landlord’s hotwater tank fails and leaks everywhere?? I think the tenant pays for his own stuff. Doesn’t seem fair does it. I guess the insurance company thinks you should have your own posessions insured BECAUSE they don’t know what you have. Insurance costs different amounts if the value of your stuff is $30,000 or $10,000. When the landlord buys insurance on the house, many times it doesn’t include the refrigerator or anything else not nailed down!! It certainly isn’t going to cover 4 tenants expensive down covers, computers, etc. Guess they think you should consider renters insurance to be like an addendum to the homeowners insurance. Maybe they also think of the burst hotwater tank as a “natural” disaster!

    How ’bout some of the girls at the party flush tampons down the toilet, which just co-insidentally had the pipes cleaned out 2 weeks ago – which the landlord does on a yearly basis because he wants to avoid problems with roots, and now it backs up into the basement flooding carpet and tenant posessions?
    I believe the liability is the tenants. Or Tenant flushed q-TIPS DOWN, NEWSPAPERS (out of toliet paper),broken handle of rasor down?


  28. September 02, 2008 at 12:14 am, Guest said:

    My apartment was flood due to my next door nieghbors waterheater breaking. I was unable to stay in my apartment for about 5 days and my floors and walls are still not fixed and my landlord has not even bothered to let me know when he will fix it. I do not want to pay the full amount of my rent this month due to this, Is this something I am legally able to do?


  29. September 10, 2008 at 5:08 pm, Guest said:

    I’m with you. I would like to know if it is legal to force the tenant to pay renters insurance. And if the tenant does not comply, is this grounds for eviction? I understand WHY insurance is necessary, I just want to know if it is legal to force this extra cost on the person renting an apartment.


  30. October 30, 2008 at 1:13 pm, Guest said:

    A pipe broke behind my toilet carpet was soaked .
    They pulled out half of it and dried it in the sun. The other half has been left to rot. The landlord says he will put new carpet in but he want’s to raise the rent 25.00 a month and we just had a rent bump 2 months ago. can he do that?


  31. November 12, 2008 at 11:26 am, Guest said:

    Water Leaks through ceiling –
    The apt above mine is a corporate apt which was rented out to someone. The washer clogged and it over-flooded and the water started coming down through the ceiling in my apt. It came down through each corner, sprinkler it could get to..luckily I was in apt when this happened and so I started putting pots and pans to collect the water and then dispose it. I even moved some of my furniture which was right underneath the water leaks. However, it ruined my perfectly good mattress, sheets and comforter.
    Since the apt above mine is the responsibility of the Landlord, are they responsible for the damage to the bed? I do have renter’s insurance but I am not sure if this is covered within that. I did file a claim but asked them to put it on hold till I hear back from the landlord. What if the landlord does not reimburse me for my loss? Also, if the insurance agent (adjuster) comes to see my apt and the damage, how do they value the damage to the bed? Any idea? What should be my next steps?


  32. November 25, 2008 at 2:55 pm, Guest said:

    jjjjjjjjjjjjjj dont know


  33. November 29, 2008 at 2:10 pm, Guest said:

    If you’re on a month-to-month lease, yes. If you’re on a yearly lease, no.


  34. January 13, 2009 at 3:31 pm, Guest said:

    If you don’t have a lease the landlord can raise the rent anytime with 30 days notice


  35. January 16, 2009 at 1:48 am, Guest said:

    I rent an apartment and brought in a contractor to fix a pipe, he made a mistake and the apartment got flooded. He does not have license and insurance. The landlord has insurance, but says he won’t file a claim and wants me to directly pay for the cleanup cost (for the building). Is she entitled to do that? If he files a claim, does the insurance have the right to get damages from me or should go after the contractor (or both)?


  36. March 03, 2009 at 7:14 pm, Tenant said:

    There is a rumor that my landlord has let his fire insurance lapse. Of course, I have my own tenant insurance, but I’m concerned about what this means about his attitude toward his responsibilities for the building.
    How can I find out if my landlord has fire insurance? He says, “yes”, but I’d like someone else’s word for it.


  37. April 19, 2009 at 8:20 pm, Anonymous said:

    I am a tenant( PhD student) living with my 3 daughters. I had a flood in my apartment overnight, and in the morning i found that, but the source was not found. i live on the top of the underground parking, then in the morning superintendant came and he found nothing, he plunged and told your toilet is blocked, i told him no it is not , he was mad on me and left, then i called emergency,they did not found the source, in the evening he again came and put the snake , again found nothing, now there is a damage of floor of 1000 dollar, they have gone to court with charging me 7000 dollars, and the called and plumber after two days he found nothing, i had water problem in my apartment 3-4 times but it was not that much, do you think court is going to charge me too/ I am frustrated, stressed.


  38. May 05, 2009 at 5:35 am, jason said:

    My vehicle was damged by a fire in the apartment next door to mine. Will the owner of that building be resposible for my damages?


  39. July 28, 2009 at 4:34 pm, tyler said:

    if your toilet gets overflowed because it got clogged, then you are responsible for all building and personal damages.
    if a pipe bursts, it is the landlords due to all buildling repairs, but are not responsible for personal belongings. if you have alot of personal belongings that are at high cost and risk, you should be smart enough to have some sort of other renters insurance.

    ive had both things happen in my apartment in the last couple months. fun stuff indeed.


  40. September 07, 2009 at 10:30 pm, Anonymous said:

    By law, if there is mold then you can break your lease and get your money back at their expense. My apartment was flooded just today. I moved in about one week ago. The guest bathroom never gets used and the one time we used it the toilets would not flush, and then sewage started overflowing into my tub from the drains. This was on a sunday and the apartment office was open, they wouldnt answer my calls or return my messages. Today, monday, I wash some clothes and the water floods my laundry room, So I called in an emergency request once again, this time they finally show up when Im not home, come into my apartment and the maintenance man cut the water back on in the bathroom and left. When I got home I returned his call and as soon as I hung up, my boyfriend is yelling because the bathroom was flooded with an inch of water, the hallway where i computers are set up, into the living room and in the guest bedroom. He finally got an extraction man down here from 2 hours away. So in the 2 hours the water was creeping further along in the carpet into other rooms. They got the water out and left over 5 blowers and a humidifier. A few hours later the electric goes off in all of my bedrooms from the blowers overloading the wall sockets. My furniture is all over the place like i just moved in again, I cant use my bathrooms or my living room, or my laundry room and my school books got soaked. The extractor told me that when water sits for 24 hours is becomes gray and after 48 hours of the water sitting there it becomes sewage. Thats something to think about.


  41. September 12, 2009 at 2:08 am, Guest said:

    I moved into my friends home to help him do some renovations. I sublet my apartment and took all my stuff with me. After living at my friends house for a year helping him make it perfect it got robbed and then the robbers burned it to the ground. All my stuff is gone. I foolishly discontinued my renters insurance 3 weeks before the burglary and fire because what could possibly go wrong?

    So my question is can I claim my stuff on his liability or am I SOL?


  42. September 26, 2009 at 2:48 am, Guest said:

    The apartment directly above mine had a fire and set off the sprinklers. As a result, my apartment started to flood–water leaking through ceiling, fireplace, outlets, fixtures. none of my property was damaged, but the carpet was soaked. they made 3 slices in the carpet to replace the padding, and i think they just tacked it back down. it looks awful, and now there is alos paint all over the carpet in various rooms, and they didn’t even cover up my couch while painting or doing drywall. Dust is everywhere, some of my glass items are broken, and carpet is also tattered in some places. Can i request new carpeting? Also, can i get pro-rated rent since i can’t live there during restoration? (electricity was off part of the time, and fans constantly going to dry inside of walls). why should i have to live with poor workmanship because of a fire that my neighbor started?


  43. January 29, 2010 at 3:21 pm, Guest said:

    We all know we have bedbugs in our building. Management sent us flies. We got a postcard from an attorney. When I called the attorney, I was told they could come in from the heating vents. These vents haven’t been cleaned since 1977. I’ve already got a doctors letter to break my lease for health reasons. Management has not sprayed all the units, much less even the hall way carpet. **** Isn’t this alone a reason to break my lease???? Mngt. said they don’t have to spray all the units because we have fire walls. The attorney said I can sue to replace my furniture if it gets infected simply by swearing it came from my apt. under oath, I even had a witness, when I gave the letter to management, and was told the bed bugs were in my apt. complex. I know for a fact they are at least on three floors out of a nine story high rise. I’m moving as soon as possible to another warmer state for health reasons and need amenities we don’t have here. The lawyer said that when beds, sofas, etc. get bed bugs, they can Not be saved. The eggs, etc. can last up to a year. It also seems logical to me that they can come up through the pipes after thinking about it. I certainly wasn’t aware of this.


  44. February 01, 2010 at 1:14 pm, mariam aromashodu said:

    hi there
    i am a student living in student accomodation who had a recent window issue which caused my working desk to be flooded. however, this window leak has damaged my laptop which cost 1850pounds. my rent is 1652 pounds and the landlord states that i have to pay the rent when the insurance company is not willing to replace my laptop what do i do?????


  45. February 01, 2010 at 7:03 pm, College Student said:


    I rent an apartment at a college in Virginia, while on Christmas break a pipe burst. The landlord sent me the bill for the apartment repairs (Carpet, water extraction, new walls, paint..etc). Is this legitimate?


  46. August 19, 2010 at 9:55 am, Jen said:

    I need some serious advice. I recently separated from my boyfriends (about 3 wks ago) & moved back in w/ my dad, who lives in an apartment. This past Monday, the pipes in the bathroom burst, soaking the bathroom, the hallway, a portion of the living room, & the 2nd bedroom (my new room). Nothing personal was damaged. However; my father (helping out our nice landlady who is 80-some yrs old) met w/ the landlady’s insurance people today (Thursday). When this all occurred, Monday evening the landlady told my father she would pay for a hotel room for us. So my father, not wanting to put it on his own credit card, wanted to wait until this morning when the insurance people came. I should note: my father does NOT have renter’s insurance.

    The meeting w/ the insurance people, my father, & the landlady this morning came to this conclusion: The apartment floors need replaced, the walls (not all, some) need replaced, all the carpet & padding need replaced, the walls need repainted. (I would like to also note my father has been renting from this private landlady for 5+ yrs now). Then the bomb was dropped- the landlady’s insurance will NOT pay for a hotel room for us to stay in. My father was told the work will not be done until after Labor Day (approximately 3 weeks away).

    We live in Harrisburg, PA. Is there anyone that could give me any kind of advice on this? I have allergies & already the moldy/ mildew is getting to me, not to mention the smell.


  47. September 20, 2010 at 4:56 pm, Guest said:

    I had a candle in my room and it exploded a febreeze aerosol bottle causing a fire that burned my entire bedroom in my apartment. The landlord had me sign a lease about 2 1/2 – 3 weeks later. His insurance is now suing me for $17,000 worth of damage. Can he do that? the lease he made up after the fire stated nothing but how much rent i payed monthly and the date i moved in. Please help i dont want to be stuck with $17,000 if i can get out of it somehow


  48. January 17, 2011 at 12:15 am, Danette said:

    I live in Birmingham Alabama, we have had snow and freezing temps in the last week. It went up to 44 today and my water pipes to my washing machine burst. the ones that come out of the wall. I called my renters insurance company and filed a claim. They are coming out tuesday. My sister said that if I file a claim that my renters insurance company will then go after my landlady to fix it. Is this true? I don’t want to cause any problems with my landlady.


  49. June 08, 2011 at 9:38 pm, guest said:

    Our apartments have been flooded five times our fire exentishers haven’t been updated since 2005 there is mold all inside the apartments and our rent person won’t do anything bout it she just laughs at us


  50. July 04, 2011 at 1:16 pm, Cheryl said:

    My husband was dog sitting for a friend who was renting a house here in Ohio. When he took the dog outside he fell down 11 steps and broke his neck and died. Is the renter liable? Does the landlord have any responsibility for this? I don’t even know yet if the renter had insurance. If they didn’t, what options might I have?


  51. August 10, 2011 at 6:42 pm, KellyG said:

    Hi question to anyone who can help. Im renting a house, the basement flooded, I called the landlord and he didnt get someone out till the next afternoon, the plumber snaked the drain and said it was clogged but was something that was not because of us it was something that happens over time, i guess the clog was out by the street not under the house, so after the plumber a carpet guy came that i called and sucked four hundred gallons of water from the basement, i paid for it and told the landlord ill just take it out of rent. He calls me back today and tells me i s likehould pay for all of it because the lease says im responsible for all repairs, i read t ihe lease it says that but after that its says only if its cause by the tenant or from misuse or neglect, the plumber said it was the landlords responsibility. What should I do, this guys acting like a dick about this and i dont feel like i should have to pay


  52. August 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm, Deb said:

    Our landlord was aware that the floor was cracking around the bottom of the tub and toilet well it finally gave in on day I was using the toilet and really hurt my elbow can I sue since he knew we had this problem for a while and I have pictures of the crack even before this happened


  53. October 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm, Anonymous said:

    hi ? can I sue if I stay in a housing complex for the sheet rock Fallon on me and srung my wrist and I blacked out


  54. December 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm, Susan said:

    Hi…I have a question regarding a broken pipe in my son’s apartment. He slipped in the shower and fell against the shower wall, which apparently caused a pipe in the wall to break even though there was no damage to the wall itself or to the faucets. He immediately contacted the manager but it took over an hour for maintenance to get the wate shut off, during which time the business on the lower floor was damaged by the water. Is my son responsible for the damage? My feeling is that there must have already been a problem with the pipe for a fall to cause it to break, and the time it took for maintenance to turn off the water was certainly a contirbuting factor to the damage sustained to the business below.


  55. February 21, 2012 at 5:28 pm, ms.betty,rivers said:

    hi my name is ms. b,rivers i had a slip and fall claim the accident happen in brooklyn,newyork but i live in the bronx, ny now but i found out that my ex landlord don’t have any insurance i would like to know what can i do so i can sue him


  56. March 06, 2012 at 9:34 pm, miss a said:

    landlord refuses to get of mold. the bathroom behind the shower wall is covered in black mold.
    the windows have so much condensation the mold is growing. the roof leaked so i am sure there is mold in the attic. around the frame on the front door mold is growing.
    my dog has a fungal infection in her lungs and me ear infection, chest hurts, soreness and fatigue.

    i am sure my furniture is covered in all the mold spores. what do i do????????


  57. April 21, 2012 at 7:37 pm, Dr D said:

    Need some advice. Was at home ready to walk out the door and went to brush my teeth when I turned the faucet on no water came out. I called my front desk concierge and asked him what was going on. He said they have to shut the water off in the building because there was a leak then needed to find and repair. Well I had to go to work and left. Couple of hours later I received a call from my complex telling me my apartment and 5 others below me were flooded or had water damage and that I left my faucet on in the bather room that caused the flood. The truth is that I did turn the faucet on initially but when no water came out I made the call to find out the issue and forgot to turn it back in the off position. I do have home owners insurance but they are now telling me that my insurance will not cover any damage done to the tenets below me. Is this true? What should I do or tell my insurance company which is progressive? And what do I do or say to the landlord who is telling me I will be somewhat responsible for the other tenets? Some advice would be appreciated. Thanks


  58. May 29, 2013 at 5:17 pm, Mike said:

    I have landlord insurance on my rental. The tenants that were renting have vacated, I did not have last months rent or a cleaning deposit. When I went to check on the management company, the house needed painting and minor repairs in the amount of over 1200.00 dollars. DOES MY LANLORD INSURANCE HELP ME RE-IMBURSE THIS EXPENSE?????????


  59. June 05, 2013 at 9:32 am, Anonymous said:

    apt manager watching me in bathroom attic


  60. September 22, 2016 at 10:56 pm, Syed said:

    hi, Itss been 2 months that i leased a condo where association is responsible for outer building maintanence. Few days ago i found a crack on the roof in the living room. immediately i informed my landlord, he was out of town he said. He asked me if can found someone to inspect. the next day the crack gets bigger so i again informed him n also send pictures but no response from him. here is another day now the whole roof falls and my stuff were inside it, lit of dust and allergies around here. I called landlord as well as 911. we were evicted from home for 2 week.
    My question is that who will pay for my hotel food and damage expenses? i was not told to get renter insurance at the time of lease agreement. It wasnt my fault, why should i suffer for it? landlord got his claim, association replaced roof but no one wants to cover my cost. please reply what are my rights ? if i stop paying rent till i cover my losses, will it be legal? Any attorney or legal advice


  61. November 10, 2016 at 10:33 am, Teresa Fitzgerald said:

    I live in a apartment complex where everything is inclued in my rent. Lights ,gas, lights ,water , & sewage. Which I do understand in the increase of my rent. But I do not understand why I have to help pay for their insurance. I have rental insurance myself. Our rent goes up 10 dollars a year to help cover these expenses.


  62. January 13, 2017 at 10:17 am, tina oakley said:

    if there is structural damage done to an apartment building and the landlord doesn't want to put us up in a motel room aren't they responisble?


  63. January 14, 2017 at 3:44 pm, MissT said:

    My apt flooded two days ago from a empty apt next door from me that MAINTENCE was working in to fix up for next move in well it flooded around 11pm one night and my next door neighbor told he heard like some water running from some where and called emergency MAINTENCE they never responded until the next morning around 7am I woke up at 430 am to get ready work to find my whole apt flooded downstairs I got a recorded message from after hours operator saying MAINTENCE was on his way and for some reason he didn't he her messages of emergency B.S now I do have renters insurance I have video of flooding in my apt and from apt next door they dumb asses left door unlocked to I'm going to let my insurance company handle it because it was the complex fault


  64. February 04, 2017 at 12:32 pm, Keri Klein said:

    I move into this place and it took 4 years before the fixed a sewage back up. It back up into the house 3 times just after the in th3 back yaep4d the rest of the time. The rats ate my dryer, microwave and car the shed leaked and ruined all my things. It become hard to live and i am sure i have some sort of bugs. I have pictures of what i spit out crawling and one even had wings. I spit out a larvae once and im hacking out from my lunfs and am so week i can even do the work nessessary to live


  65. September 05, 2017 at 10:48 am, Ridley Fitzgerald said:

    It's good to learn about renters and landlords insurance. I didn't know that the latter covered the exterior of the buildings, but maybe not the interior. When my wife and I find a place to rent, we'll be sure to ask for some clarifications.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *