Qualifying for Government Subsidized Low Income Apartments

in Find an Apartment on by

Low income apartments have special qualifiers for potential residents. Therefore, you can qualify for this type of housing if you make a lower income and meet the eligibility requirements set by the government.

Wage Requirements

Low income apartments subsidized by the government are available, as stated, to those individuals who qualify. Typically you should make a wage that is at the level of poverty or lower. If your income does fall in this range, HUD (or the Department of Housing and Urban Development) can pay part of the rental proceeds.

Applying Directly to Low Income Communities

Therefore, to apply for low-income subsidized apartments, you must visit the HUD office. However, you can also apply directly to an apartment community which is set up to accept low-income renters. If you find such a community, you only need to fill out the appropriate paperwork and demonstrate proof of income. You can do this by furnishing them with a pay stub from your place of employment. Different apartments in various locales have different income limits. Therefore, make sure you qualify in this regard before visiting a community. Once you’ve gathered information about several apartments, phone each of the communities. By calling them, you can find out the rental rate, nearest move-in date and apartment features. Visit them in person to make sure that you will like the community. Also, check out the apartment itself. If you find everything to your satisfaction, you can make an application.

Applying Directly to HUD

If you choose to visit your local HUD office, you can find a listing of apartments there that accept subsidized rent from low income tenants. You can also visit the HUD website to locate an apartment in your area.  To directly apply for a Section 8 housing voucher from HUD, apply only one time as multiple applications will delay the processing of your application. Make sure you have the appropriate income information (such as pay stub)  as well as any other information that may be needed, such as tax and bank information, birth certificate and present address.

Additional Information

In addition to basic information, you’ll need to list all the persons who will be residing in the apartment, including their sex, date of birth and relationship to you. You’ll also need to include whether you have governmental preference (such as veteran status). Include names and addresses of your previous landlords and the estimated amount of income you anticipate on receiving in the coming year as well as the source of that income.

Playing the Waiting Game

If it’s determined that you qualify, your name will be submitted on a waiting list unless you can obtain immediate assistance. If you are found to be ineligible, you may request a hearing to review your case.

The above information is a basic overview of how you can apply. Of course, it’s the easiest to visit apartment communities who directly take applications from low-income tenants. If you do choose to make direct application to HUD though, make sure you have all the appropriate information as well as lots of patience.

7 Responses to “Qualifying for Government Subsidized Low Income Apartments”

  1. October 05, 2011 at 3:36 pm, monica henao said:

    hi , my name is monica i have 2 kids and my husband . i work in a restaraunt i get 272.03 $ a week i want a 3 bedroom apartment 1 bathroom and a living room we have a small family of 4 people .


  2. January 20, 2012 at 12:51 pm, gerardo ferrer said:

    Hi! I’ve been searching for low income apt, I only received 1300 a month. can you please email me if there is any.

    thank you
    gerardo f


  3. January 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm, danielle holloway said:

    Hi! my name is danielle i was looking for a apartment for low income apartments, i dont have a job. Is there a program that can help pay for rent.


  4. May 02, 2012 at 4:47 pm, mildred said:

    Hello I just work 37 hours a week,and i have a daughter,i am single mom.also i have to pay day care and my rent ,i need some help to know if I qualify and What do i have to do ,thanks


  5. January 09, 2013 at 12:15 pm, kimmie booker said:

    Hello my name is kim was injured on a nj transit bus on my way to work was disable becouse of it did not get a good lawer to look out for me. I have been staying with family every sence cant aford a one bead room appartment i need help my income is 1,004 a mouth it’s just me please any help you can give would be appreciate


  6. August 07, 2013 at 3:07 pm, Jonni Hinrichsen said:

    I am looking for a low rent one bedroom apt right now my income is $710.00 per month, the main reason that I am looking for an immediate rental is because this apartment has bed bugs, ants, and cochroches, and I need immediate relief from this situation. If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it.


  7. November 10, 2013 at 8:46 pm, eddy ,montes said:

    Hello my name is Eddy Montes. I am a single father of 5 children whom I just won full custody for. I am We are hoping for a chance to gain help from your program in which is highly spoken of. I
    am looking for a low income home that is big enough for my children and I. My children need a home to feel like a home. Not a place that is crammed and confined. I do have an income of $250 p/wk which puts food on our table and clothes on there back, but rent now and days requires far more than my income. We would greatly appreciate an opportunity to gain help from your program.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *